All the wonderful things Mrs. Brown can do, and Mr. Brown helps too! In chapter 3 it explains pregnancy; fertilization and the different stages of gestation. This chapter breaks down all the details of conception inclusive of the cells used in reproduction, cell parts and their roles, mutations that can effect cells during pregnancy, and the disorders mutations can cause. Chapter three gives its readers information about both natural and artificial fertilization. In cases of infertility, there are "many forms of assisted reproductions technologies (ART) are now available (Gardner et al., 2004; Leifer, 2003; Marrs, Bloch, & Silverman, 1997). Alternative reproduction options include In vitro fertilization (IVF), Intrauterine insemination (IUI), Gamete intrafallopian transfer (GIFT), sperm and egg donation, surrogate mother, and adoption. Details of the effects of disease, alcohol, and drug use (prescription or recreational use) can have on pregnancy are included. This chapter hit home for me for two reasons; I have had three successful pregnancies, and cell mutation played a role in my last one. My daughter has Sickle Cell SC disease. I carry an "S" trait, and my husband carry the "C" trait. So far we have been blessed, and my daughter has been healthy with no crisis. We are praying for a cure, and until we find one, healthy habits are an absolute priority; protection from extreme heat and cold, hydration, proper nutrition, rest, and education are all part of our daily routine.
Chapter 4 is informative of labor, delivery, and postpartum. Birth has been an ongoing event since the beginning of time. There has been great advancements in childbirth because of research done to help women all over the world have a desirable, safe, and healthy labor and delivery. There are many methods used as "a woman's choices for childbirth practices will vary depending on her culture, the society of which she is a part, and her individual temperament" (Fiore p. 82). Despite the advancements in medicine and research done to prevent deaths during labor and delivery, women are now reverting back to having home births as opposed to delivering their babies in hospital settings. History shows us the negative effects of the drugs used to alleviate pain during child birth, and how now more mothers are opting for a drug-free delivery. With information at everyone's fingertips, women are more informed of their choices. Labor and delivery have been trending lately as women are choosing unique birth plans; scheduled c-sections, bath tub deliveries, hypnosis, and lamaze methods amongst others. I remember having it all planned out, and thought it would be easy. I didn't experience my water spontaneously exploding into a puddle, but I do remember the pain that came with contractions of active labor and having no pain relief for hours. I did get three epidurals, I dilated to 10 cm twice, and pushed for three hours just to have a c-section two times. Both of my boys were too big for me to have vaginally, so I had c-sections. My first born son was 9 lbs 6oz and 21 1/2 inches, and my second born son was 8 lbs 15 oz and 20 1/2 inches. With my third born daughter, I scheduled a c-section, picked her birthday, and she was 7 lbs 4 oz and 19 1/2 inches. In many ways I felt that I was cheated out of the birth plan I desired; the doctor's bed side manner was horrible! However, I am grateful that my children and I were/are healthy. I plan to use my nursing license to spread education, so that women can make informed choices about their healthcare inclusive of the many childbirth options.
Chapter 5 describes the development of infants. Through research it has been discovered that "our view of an infant today is of an individual with enormous potential, one whose activity and competence are much greater than originally believed" (Fiore p. 124). I truly believe the quote, "children know more than one thinks" (author unknown). This chapter shows how although each child is different, there are some characteristics that determine if a child is developing at, above, or below normal range based on age, height, and weight amongst other measurements. These findings are used to measure health, and can detect both treatable and untreatable abnormalities. I used to wonder why the pediatrician always asked weird questions during checkups when my children were infants, but those little milestones are/were important to my children's development. Now, they even evaluate the mother to detect postpartum depression. Even though it's a great start, I think more should be done to ensure the mother and child are safe. I remember feeling so closed in after I had my second baby, I was so sleep deprived and overwhelmed with a toddler and newborn. I was so fortunate that my husband picked up on the signs right away and was able to get me out of the house to prevent further development of depression. Even though I had a mild case, I recognized how severe postpartum depression can be for other women who are not evaluated or does not have an informed support system.
Renita,
ReplyDeleteThank you for sharing so much of your personal experience along with the content in our reading. My wife is 14 weeks pregnant with our first child, so this unit especially has been a valuable learning experience for me! I was very encouraged to hear that your husband recognized and helped you through postpartum depression. I am not sure what types of challenges my wife and I will face, but I certainly hope to be as observant and helpful as you husband was to you!
Bobby